lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "William Sporrong" <wi...@tegenaria.com>
Subject Search result grouped in categories?
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:57:20 GMT
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to use Lucene in a webproject to search for products. The problem is that I have
to display the search results grouped by category. There are about 500.000 products and every
product belongs to a category. There are 150 categories. Now for every search I would like
to display the result like this:

Matches where found in category A and B:

Category A (500 matches)
  - < a list of the 10 best matches in this category >

Category B (12 matches)
  - < a list of the 10 best matches in this category >

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this? I would like to avoid iterating
over all matching products to find their categories (There can be about 50.000). Is it reasonable
to the search on all categories first and then apply a filter for each category (150 filters)?
How fast are filters? or would it be better to have a separate index for each category? or
maybe iterate over all the matching product and store them in a hashmap with category as key?

Thanks,
William