lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Burleson <pburle...@gmail.com>
Subject Swapping Indexes?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:18:53 GMT
I've read in the docs about updating an index and its suggestion
reguarding swapping out indexes with a directory rename.

Here's my question, how to do this when searches are running live?

Say I have a directory that holds the current valid index:

C:\myindex

and when I'm running my nightly process to generate the index, it gets
temporarily indexed to:

C:\temp\myindex

How can I very quickly replace C:\myindex with C:\temp\myindex?

I can't simply do a rename since C:\myindex will likely have open
files. (Gotta love windows)

And I can't delete all files in myindex, again because of the open files issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick