lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Stephane James Vaucher <vauch...@cirano.qc.ca>
Subject Re: Swapping Indexes?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:22:20 GMT
I've tried two options that seem to work:

1) Have a singleton that is responsible that will control your searchers.
This controller can temporarilly redirect your searchers to
c:/temp/myindex, allowing you to copy you index to c:/myindex. After that
process completes, your controller can tell your searchers to use
c:/myindex, allowing you to then erase your temp index.

If you index nightly, you can always *not* erase your tmp dir, your index
process will do this automatically if you create your IndexWriter with
the overwrite option. This way, you can have a backup index if there is
a system failure at some point (like when you copy/move directories).

2) Use an incremental index. Regularly, I scan my files, see if there are
modification/additions and update my master index. Removing from the
master index, adding to a temp dir, then merging. I haven't seen any
weirdness on windows with this process.

HTH,
sv