lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From iouli.golova...@group.novartis.com
Subject RE: memory leek in lucene?
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:42:37 GMT
back to biz.

Terence,

probably u prepared it already or should I do it?

Otis,

actually it's just a common way to execute a query.

If  the code is like

hits = ms.search(query);

or

  sort = new Sort(SortField.FIELD_DOC);
  hits = ms.search(query,sort);

or even

  filter = DateFilter("published",stamp_from,stamp_to);
  sort = new Sort(SortField.FIELD_DOC);
  hits = ms.search(query,filter,sort);

everything is ok, memory is getting free (you see it with top -p pid)

The problem starts only in case:

  sort = new Sort(new SortField("published_short",SortField.FLOAT, true));
  hits = ms.search(query,sort);

The memory never comes back  and grows up with every iteration even You
start garbage collector explicitly and code runs somehow into finalize()

Regards
J.

Iouli & Terence,

Could you create a self-sufficient test case that demonstrates the
memory leak?  If you can do that, please open a new bug entry in
Bugzilla (the link to it is on Lucene's home page), and then attach
your test case to it.

Thanks!
Otis