lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karthik N S" <kart...@controlnet.co.in>
Subject RE: AnalyZer HELP Please
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:56:19 GMT
Hi Guys

Apologies......

   Correct me If I am wrong...

   During Indexing process, if the Analyzer  has a word   'new' in the array
' STOPWORD'  this  word is  prevented from indexing or
  Stopped from indexing.

  Then  during the process of Search  would  not return me a hit on the word
"New Year"  ,
  since the  word 'new'  is  in Array STOPWORD ...
  [ Even if the Word is surrounded by "\""]

With regards
Karthik

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 7:35 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: AnalyZer HELP Please

On Aug 17, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Karthik N S wrote:
> I did as Erik  replied in his mail ,
> and  searched for the complete word   "\"New Year\""  ,
> but the QueryParser Still returns me hit for "Year"  Only.
>
> [ The Analyzer I use has 555 English Stop words  with  "new" present
> in it ]

No wonder!

> That's when I checked up with Analyzer's to verify,
> If u look at the list  Analyzer's  o/p
> GrammerAnalyzer is the one that has 555 English STOPWORDS.
>
> Do u think this is the bug in my Code.

Whether this is a "bug" or not is really for your users to determine :)
  But it is absolutely the expected behavior.  QueryParser analyzes the
expression too.  Even if you somehow changed QueryParser, if you never
indexed the word "new" then you certainly cannot expect to search on it
and find it.

	Erik