lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kipping, Peter" <pkipp...@crcpress.com>
Subject RE: Does lucene support greater than/less than on strings
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:50:40 GMT
I'm guessing the answer to this is no.  However I am looking at inverted
indexes and there may be a way to support this.  What if you replaced
the Hashtable of terms(assuming that lucene uses a hashtable) with a
tree.  Since a tree is an ordered data structure, it would be possible
to return all elements of a tree that were less than (or greater than)
your query.  Do you think this is possible, if so how difficult would it
be?

Thanks,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Kipping, Peter
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 10:20 AM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Does lucene support greater than/less than on strings

I'm converting numbers into strings (0001, 0013, etc) but users will
want to search using the < and >.  I've been using the range query for
this ([0 TO 0013] if a user does < 13).  But my index is quite large and
I get a ToManyBooleanClauses Exception or an out of memory exception if
I increase the boolean clause count.  It seems that a simpler/better
solution would be to have lucene be able to do < > on strings.  Is that
possible now, if not how hard would it be to implement?

Thanks,
Peter