lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kipping, Peter" <pkipp...@crcpress.com>
Subject Does lucene support greater than/less than on strings
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:19:56 GMT
I'm converting numbers into strings (0001, 0013, etc) but users will
want to search using the < and >.  I've been using the range query for
this ([0 TO 0013] if a user does < 13).  But my index is quite large and
I get a ToManyBooleanClauses Exception or an out of memory exception if
I increase the boolean clause count.  It seems that a simpler/better
solution would be to have lucene be able to do < > on strings.  Is that
possible now, if not how hard would it be to implement?

Thanks,
Peter