lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karsten Konrad" <Karsten.Kon...@xtramind.com>
Subject AW: Lucene internal document number?
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:33:37 GMT

Hi,

a have a short question it's regarding lucene internal document numbers:
can you give me an idea where they are written into the index and how
they are generated?

I am not 100% sure about the technical design, only
from my experience with Lucene:

The numbers depend on when the document was indexed.
The "older" the document, the smaller the number. All
documents are numbered from 0 to n-1 where n is the
number of documents the current reader sees. There
are never any "gaps" in this numbering.

There is, to my knowledge, no explicit point where
these numbers are written in the index. Think of
positions in a list - they are not part of the
list itself. You have to take into account that
these numbers may change for documents after
any deletions in the index.

Regards,

Karsten

--