lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: lucene and ejb applications
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:12:35 GMT
What would be the best way?  Use Lucene outside of EJB.  It's quite
silly to make such a decision "purely due to a policy decision" when
the technicalities of it show that it is an unwise decision.

You're going to navigate Hits through a session bean?  And as you said,
the EJB spec says not to use file I/O from EJB's.  That is a good
recommendation if you are distributing your system across servers and
replication is occurring - if another call to a session bean occurs and
ends up on a different server, then the file handle is lost.

I violate the spec in my JavaDevWithAnt project and have one mode where
I have a stateless session bean returning search results:
http://www.ehatchersolutions.com/JavaDevWithAnt - but I definitely do
not recommend it.  It works when you are in a single-server
environment.

In summary - EJB and Lucene are not a good mix - don't force it just to
be buzzword compliant.

	Erik