lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bernhard Messer <>
Subject Re: weird lock behavior
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:24:38 GMT

the IndexReader class provides some public static methodes to check if
an index is locked. If this is the case, there is also a method to
unlock an existing index. You could do something like:

Directory dir = FSDirectory.getDirectory(indexDir, false);
if (IndexReader.isLocked(dir)) {

You also should catch the possible IOException in case of an error or
the index can't be unlocked.

fun with it
Bernhard wrote:

>I experienced following situation:
>Suddenly my query became too slow (c.10sec instead of c.1sec) and the
>number of returned hits changed from c. 2000 to c.1800.
>Tracing the case I've found locking file "abc.......-commit.lck". After
>deletion of this file everything turned back to normal behavior, i.e. I
>got my 2000 hits in 1sec.
>There were no concurent writing or reading processes running parallely.
>Probably the lock file was lost because of abnormal termination ( during
>development it's ok, but may happen in production as well)
>My question is how to handle such situation,  find out and repair in case
>it happens (in real life there are many concurensy processes and I have no
>idea which lock file to kill).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message