lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Claes Holmerson <claes.holmer...@polopoly.com>
Subject Re: Lock handling
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:59:52 GMT
Yes, looking at the time of the lock was an idea I had but I could not
find anything like a time stamp. Am I missing something obvious here?

Claes

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

>Hello,
>
>If you use Lucene incorrectly (e.g. 2 IndexWriters writing to the same
>index), you will see this error.  Lucene has no way of telling whether
>the lock file was left over from a previous process, or whether it's a
>valid lock file because another process is currently indexing documents
>or some such.
>You could try adding some logic to your app, though.  For instance, you
>can look at lock's timestamp, and using IndexReader.unlock(...) method
>to forcefully unlock the index.
>
>Otis
>
>--- Claes Holmerson <claes.holmerson@polopoly.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am interested to hear how people handle locked indexes, for example
>>
>>when catching an IOException like below.
>>
>>java.io.IOException: Lock obtain timed out:
>>Lock@/tmp/lucene-0b978f2c0aa12e8dcdbd5b0df491bfc4-write.lock
>>        at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain(Lock.java:58)
>>        at
>>org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:223)
>>        at
>>org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:213)
>>
>>As far as I can tell, there is no good way to tell whether the lock
>>is
>>only temporary (working as it should), or if it was created by a
>>process
>>that later died, and therefore can not remove it. How can I detect
>>the
>>latter case, and how should I best handle it?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Claes

Claes Holmerson
Polopoly - Cultivating the information garden
Kungsgatan 88, SE-112 27 Stockholm, SWEDEN
Direct: +46 8 506 782 59
Mobile: +46 704 47 82 59
Fax:  +46 8 506 782 51
claes.holmerson@polopoly.com, http://www.polopoly.com