lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Benchmark of filesystem cache for index vs RAMDirectory...
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 01:40:46 GMT
I'm not sure how Solaris or Windows perform but the Linux block cache
will essentially use all avali memory to buffer the filesystem.

If one is using an FSDirectory to perform searches while the first
search would be slow, remaining searches would be fast since Linux will
now buffer the index in RAM.

The RAMDirectory has the advantage of pre-loading everything and can
keep it in memory if the box is performing other operations.

In my benchmarks though RAMDirectory is slightly slower.  I assume this
is because its Hashtable based even though it only needs to be
synchronized in a few places.  IE searches should never be synchronized...

Would a HashMap implementation of RAMDirectory beat out a cached
FSDirectory?

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.