lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Z <>
Subject Re: Question on number of fields in a document.
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:57:38 GMT
I was looking at some older email on the list and found an email where Doug Cutting says that
fields not analyzed, we need not store the norms , nor load them into memory.
That change in the indexer will help a lot in this situation, where we might have 24 fields
indexed but not analyzed.

Paul Elschot <> wrote:
On Wednesday 04 August 2004 18:22, John Z wrote:
> Hi
> I had a question related to number of fields in a document. Is there any
> limit to the number of fields you can have in an index.
> We have around 25-30 fields per document at present, about 6 are keywords,
> Around 6 stored, but not indexed and rest of them are text, which is
> analyzed and indexed fields. We are planning on adding around 24 more
> fields , mostly keywords.
> Does anyone see any issues with this? Impact to search or index ?

During search one byte of RAM is needed per searched field per document
for the normalisation factors, even if a document field is empty.
This RAM is occupied the first time a field is searched after opening
an index reader.
Supposing your queries would actually search 50 fields before
closing the index reader, the norms would occupy 50 bytes/doc, or
1 GB / 20MDocs.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

Do You Yahoo!?