lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <>
Subject Re: Negative Boost
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:49:25 GMT
Well, I'm not too confident of my JavaCC skills, and when I've messed around with this stuff
in the past, I sometimes ended up inadvertently creating problems in other areas of the query

But if, in the future, I or someone else took on this task of enhancing QueryParser, I'd like
to be assured that the underlying Lucene engine will accept and support negative boosting.
 Is that the case?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Erik Hatcher
  To: Lucene Users List
  Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 9:12 AM
  Subject: Re: Negative Boost

  On Aug 4, 2004, at 7:19 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:
  > I can't get negative boosts to work with QueryParser.  Is it possible
  > to do so?

  Closer inspection on the parsing:

  <Boost> TOKEN : {
  <NUMBER:    (<_NUM_CHAR>)+ ( "." (<_NUM_CHAR>)+ )? > : DEFAULT

     <#_NUM_CHAR:   ["0"-"9"] >

  So, no, negative boosts don't appear possible with QueryParser
  currently.  I have no objections if you'd like to enhance the grammar
  to allow for it (provided sufficient unit tests, of course).

  To unsubscribe, e-mail:
  For additional commands, e-mail: