lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Re: Negative Boost
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:49:25 GMT
Well, I'm not too confident of my JavaCC skills, and when I've messed around with this stuff
in the past, I sometimes ended up inadvertently creating problems in other areas of the query
syntax.

But if, in the future, I or someone else took on this task of enhancing QueryParser, I'd like
to be assured that the underlying Lucene engine will accept and support negative boosting.
 Is that the case?

Regards,

Terry

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Erik Hatcher
  To: Lucene Users List
  Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 9:12 AM
  Subject: Re: Negative Boost

  On Aug 4, 2004, at 7:19 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:
  > I can't get negative boosts to work with QueryParser.  Is it possible
  > to do so?

  Closer inspection on the parsing:

  <Boost> TOKEN : {
  <NUMBER:    (<_NUM_CHAR>)+ ( "." (<_NUM_CHAR>)+ )? > : DEFAULT
  }

  where

     <#_NUM_CHAR:   ["0"-"9"] >

  So, no, negative boosts don't appear possible with QueryParser
  currently.  I have no objections if you'd like to enhance the grammar
  to allow for it (provided sufficient unit tests, of course).

  Erik