lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Grant Ingersoll" <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: lucene cutomized indexing
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:37:35 GMT
It seems to me the answer to this is not necessarily to open up the API, but to provide a mechanism
for adding Writers and Readers to the indexing/searching process at the application level.
 These readers and writers could be passed to Lucene and used to read and write to separate
files (thus, not harming the index file format).  They could be used to read/write an arbitrary
amount of metadata at the term, document and/or index level w/o affecting the core Lucene
index.  Furthermore, previous versions could still work b/c they would just ignore the new
files and the indexes could be used by other applications as well.

This is just a thought in the infancy stage, but it seems like it would solve the problem.
 Of course, the trick is figuring out how it fits into the API (or maybe it becomes a part
of 2.0).  Not sure if it is even feasible, but it seems like you could define interfaces for
Readers and Writers that met the requirements to do this.

This may be better discussed on the dev list.

>>> john.wang@gmail.com 07/20/04 11:28AM >>>
Hi:
   I am trying to store some Databased like field values into lucene.
I have my own way of storing field values in a customized format.

   I guess my question is wheather we can make the Reader/Writer
classes, e.g. FieldReader, FieldWriter, DocumentReader/Writer classes
non-final?

   I have asked to make the Lucene API less restrictive many many many
times but got no replies. Is this request feasible?

Thanks

-John