lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Giulio Cesare Solaroli <giulio.ces...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: corrupt indexes?
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:49:09 GMT
We had a nightmare story, but we did not understand what had happened.

The net result was that an index, with almost 6 milion documents, that
was updated (adding and deleting documets) constantly for a few
months, one morning was reporting 0 documents, even if the space used
on the disk was still consistent with the 6 milion documents (about
30Gb).

We have not enough knowledge to debug the problem so we started
immediatly creating a new index on the whole set of documents.

Beside this nasty problem, we have experienced constant errors trying
to create a new index on a Sun V440 (with 4 CPU and 8Gb of RAM) with a
Sun JRE.

I will collect all the relevant information and post back full details
on this later problem because we have been forced to use other systems
(XServe with MacOSX 10.2) because using the V440 the index became
corrupted regularly. We have not other Sun hardware with enough
performace to support our indexing needs, so we haven't investigated
this problem further.

Regards,

Giulio Cesare Solaroli