lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karthik N S" <kart...@controlnet.co.in>
Subject RE: Large index files
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:44:23 GMT
Hi

  I think  (a) would be a better choice  [I have  done it on Linux  upt to
7GB , it's pretty faster then doing the same on win2000 PF]

with regards
Karthik

-----Original Message-----
From: Rupinder Singh Mazara [mailto:rsmazara@ebi.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 5:55 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Large index files

Hi all

  I am using lucene to index a large dataset, it so happens 10% of this data
yields indexes of
  400MB, in all likelihood it is possible the index may go upto 7GB.

  My deployment will be on a linux/tomcat  system, what will be a better
solution
  a) create one large index and hope linux does not mind
  b) generate 7-10 indexes based on some criteria and glue them together
using MultiReader, in this case I may cross the MAX file handles limit of
Tomcat ?

 regards