lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From wal...@Cyveillance.com
Subject RE: Field.java -> STORED, NOT_STORED, etc...
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:15:39 GMT
I have 2 suggestions:

1) use Eclipse, or an IDE that references the javadoc with mouseovers
2) if you are going to create constants, consider using a bitflag.  Then
your constants can have a 2's value, ie

STORED = 1
INDEXED = 2
TOKENIZED = 4

Then you can have the constructor look like:

new Field("name", "value", STORED + TOKENIZED)

The constructor would break that down bitwise!

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin A. Burton [mailto:burton@newsmonster.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 5:05 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Field.java -> STORED, NOT_STORED, etc...

I've been working with the Field class doing index conversions between
an old index format to my new external content store proposal (thus the
email about the 14M convert).

Anyway... I find the whole Field.Keyword, Field.Text thing confusing.
The main problem is that the constructor to Field just takes booleans
and if you forget the ordering of the booleans its very confusing.

new Field( "name", "value", true, false, true );

So looking at that you have NO idea what its doing without fetching javadoc.

So I added a few constants to my class:

new Field( "name", "value", NOT_STORED, INDEXED, NOT_TOKENIZED );

which IMO is a lot easier to maintain.

Why not add these constants to Field.java:

    public static final boolean STORED = true;
    public static final boolean NOT_STORED = false;

    public static final boolean INDEXED = true;
    public static final boolean NOT_INDEXED = false;

    public static final boolean TOKENIZED = true;
    public static final boolean NOT_TOKENIZED = false;

Of course you still have to remember the order but this becomes a lot
easier to maintain.

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.