lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Wang <john.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene cutomized indexing
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:03:31 GMT
Hi Eric and Grant:

     Thanks for the replies and this is certainly encouraging. As
suggested, I will post furthere such discussions to the dev list.

Thanks

-John

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:37:35 -0400, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@syr.edu> wrote:
> It seems to me the answer to this is not necessarily to open up the API, but to provide
a mechanism for adding Writers and Readers to the indexing/searching process at the application
level.  These readers and writers could be passed to Lucene and used to read and write to
separate files (thus, not harming the index file format).  They could be used to read/write
an arbitrary amount of metadata at the term, document and/or index level w/o affecting the
core Lucene index.  Furthermore, previous versions could still work b/c they would just ignore
the new files and the indexes could be used by other applications as well.

> This is just a thought in the infancy stage, but it seems like it would solve the problem.
 Of course, the trick is figuring out how it fits into the API (or maybe it becomes a part
of 2.0).  Not sure if it is even feasible, but it seems like you could define interfaces for
Readers and Writers that met the requirements to do this.