lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Don Vaillancourt <d...@webimpact.com>
Subject MultiSearcher is very slow
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:49:41 GMT
Hi all,

I've managed to add multi-index searching capability to my code.  But one
thing that I have noticed is that Lucene is extremely slow in searching.

For example I have been testing with 2 indexes for the past month or so and
searching them returns results in under 250ms and sometimes even surprising
me at under 50ms.  All of this on my desktop computer.

If I search both indexes with the MultiSearcher class, it take over 2000ms
to search.  I have compared the search results and they do match.  But why
is it taking so much longer.

I'm assuming that each index is searched separately and then the Hits
results from each search is merged and sorted.  But still, I don't think
that this should take any longer than 750ms.

Is it just the way Lucene MultiSearcher class was engineered that makes it
slow or is there something that I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Don Vaillancourt
Director of Software Development

WEB IMPACT INC.
416-815-2000 ext. 245
email: donv@web-impact.com
web: http://www.web-impact.com

copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is