lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: The indexer
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:25:42 GMT
On Jul 20, 2004, at 8:44 AM, Ian McDonnell wrote:
> Can Lucenes indexer be used to store info in fields in a mysql db?

I'm not quite clear on your question.  You want to store a Lucene index
(aka Directory) within mysql?

Or, you want to index data from your existing mysql database into a
Lucene index?

A Directory implementation for Berkeley DB was created by the Chandler
project and contributed to the Lucene sandbox (see Lucene's website for
details on the sandbox and how to get to it).  There has been some
efforts to put a Lucene index into SQL Server, I believe, but I haven't
seen mention of that in a while.  It *can* be done, but I'm skeptical
of the performance hit of adding in a relational database layer - and
to do it well would certainly be non-trivial.

As for indexing data from mysql - there have been lots of discussions
of that recently, so check the archives.  Basically you read the data,
and index it with Lucene's API.  And you are responsible for keeping it
in sync.

	Erik