lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Token or not Token, PerFieldAnalyzer
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:54:00 GMT
Florian Sauvin wrote:
> Everywhere in the documentation (and it seems logical) you say to use
> the same analyzer for indexing and querying... how is this handled on
> not tokenized fields?

Imperfectly.

The QueryParser knows nothing about the index, so it does not know which
fields were tokenized and which were not.  Moreover, even the index does
not know this, since you can freely intermix tokenized and untokenized
values in a single field.

> In my case, I have certain fields on which I want the tokenization and
> anlysis and everything to happen... but on other fields, I just want to
> index the content as it is (no alterations at all) and not analyze at
> query time... is that possible?

It is very possible.  A good way to handle this is to use
PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper.

Doug