lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene shouldn't use java.io.tmpdir
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:49:46 GMT
Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> This is why I think it makes more sense to use our own java.io.tmpdir to
> be on the safe side.

I think the bug is that Tomcat changes java.io.tmpdir.  I thought that
the point of the system property java.io.tmpdir was to have a portable
name for /tmp on unix, c:\windows\tmp on Windows, etc.  Tomcat breaks
that.  So must Lucene have its own way of finding the platform-specific
temporary directory that everyone can write to?  Perhaps, but it seems a
shame, since Java already has a standard mechanism for this, which
Tomcat abuses...

Doug