lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: Lucene shouldn't use java.io.tmpdir
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:17:43 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

>Hey Kevin,
>
>Not sure if you're aware of it, but you can specify the lock dir, so in
>your example, both JVMs could use the exact same lock dir, as long as
>you invoke the VMs with the same params.

Most people won't do this or won't even understand WHY they need to do
this :-/.

>You shouldn't be writing the
>same index with more than 1 IndexWriter though (not sure if this was
>just a bad example or a real scenario).

Yes... I realize that you shouldn't use more than one IndexWriter. That
was the point. The locks are to prevent this from happening. If one were
to accidentally do this the locks would be in different directories and
our IndexWriter would corrupt the index.

This is why I think it makes more sense to use our own java.io.tmpdir to
be on the safe side.

--

Please reply using PGP.

    http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc