lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Brisbart Franck <Franck.Brisb...@kelkoo.net>
Subject Re: boolean operators and score
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:53:07 GMT
Niraj Alok wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Finally I have sorted the problem of hits score thanks to the great help of
> Franck.
>
> I have hit another problem with the boolean operators now.
> When I search for "Winston and churchill" i get a set of perfectly
> acceptable results.
> But when I change the order, "churchill and winston" the results are the
> same but the order of the results changes.

I don't it is interpreted as the same request. As you should know the
terms of a boolean query have a 'required' flag.
As to me, your request 'winston and churchill' is interpreted as
'winston (not required)' and 'churchill (required)'
But your request 'churchill and winston' is interpreted as 'churchill
(not required)' and 'winston (required)'

I think you'd rather search for 'and winston and churchill' (which
should be the same than 'and churchill and winston') to have the both
terms required

Franck

--
Franck Brisbart