lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian McDonnell <...@spinnerscity.com>
Subject Re: The indexer
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:07:30 GMT
Yeah that last part of your reply seems to be what i'm trying to do(you're going to have to
excuse me as i'm a total newbie to Lucene and am only finding my feet with it). I searched
the archives and went back through it manually just there, but didnt find any relevant posts
in the archive.

>As for indexing data from mysql - there have been lots of discussions
>of that recently, so check the archives.  Basically you read the data,
>and index it with Lucene's API.  And you are responsible for keeping it >in sync.

The problem i am having is reading the data from the sql tables and then using the indexer
to store it. Has anybody indexed from a mysql table before? If so, do i need to create some
kind of JDBC query that selects all the field values from the table and indexes them in a
lucene document that is stored on the server? If i do this, how can this process be automated
rather than manually running the program everytime a new profile is added via the jsp form?

Erik, i'm not sure what you mean about keeping the db in sync. Are you talking about stale
or updated db entries?

Ian

Ian

	Erik

--- Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
On Jul 20, 2004, at 8:44 AM, Ian McDonnell wrote:
> Can Lucenes indexer be used to store info in fields in a mysql db?

I'm not quite clear on your question.  You want to store a Lucene index
(aka Directory) within mysql?

Or, you want to index data from your existing mysql database into a
Lucene index?

A Directory implementation for Berkeley DB was created by the Chandler
project and contributed to the Lucene sandbox (see Lucene's website for
details on the sandbox and how to get to it).  There has been some
efforts to put a Lucene index into SQL Server, I believe, but I haven't
seen mention of that in a while.  It *can* be done, but I'm skeptical
of the performance hit of adding in a relational database layer - and
to do it well would certainly be non-trivial.