lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anson Lau" <a...@fulfil-net.com>
Subject RE: Pool of IndexReaders or Pool of Searchers?
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:39:34 GMT
Don't have a formal report but I can give you a bit more details:

What are we testing: a search app powered by lucene, search app is a web app
built on Struts.
Index: 1.8 million database records
Hardware: Dual P4 2.8 HT, 4G Ram, Raid 5 SCIC HDs.
Directory type: FSDirectory

Load test app: A load test app which has 15 threads, each firing 1 search
request (http request) per second to the search app.

All the http requests are search request, but keep in mind all the overhead
of jsp, struts, etc.

We thought especially with multiple CPU systems using a small pool of index
searcher may improve concurrency.

Under lucene 1.4:
Using 1 static index searcher: 12 request per second.
Using a pool of 4 index search: same 12 request per second

Under lucene 1.3:
I can't remember the exact numbers, but pooling index searcher did make a
noticeable difference.

Hope that's useful.

Anson