lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anson Lau" <a...@fulfil-net.com>
Subject question on setting boost factor
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:30:37 GMT
Hi guys,

Lets say I want to search the term "hello world" over 3 fields with
different boost:

((hello:field1 world:field1)^0.001 (hello:field2 world:field2)^100
(hello:field3 world:field3)^20000))

Note I've given field1 a really low boost, a heavy boost to field2 and a
REALLY heavy boost to field3.

What is happening to me is that a term that matches both field1 and field2,
will have a higher score than a term that matches field3 only, even though
field3's boost is WAY higher.

Can I change this behaviour such that the match in field3 only will actually
have a higher score because of the boost?

Thanks,

Anson