lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mik" <ste...@etnetera.cz>
Subject RE: Can I retrieve token offsets from Hits?
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:07:46 GMT
Athough storing metadata would by very useful stuff, I believe that
Token (Term?) offsets should be integral part of index. Storing such
information would be optional (same as term frequencies) so users could
make thier own decision on index size. But this discussion probably
belongs to developer mailing list.
Reanalizing of original document content every time when excerpt is
needed is not best solution. With StandardAnalyzer it probably works
fine, but more complicated analyzers may be much slower. For example
(this is the case I'm trying to solve now) one may use lemmatizer as
part of tokenization process. In such case analyzing time of (even
small) set of documents is not acceptable for web application under
heavy load.
In fact one can store token positions already. Original document may be
stored to unindexed field (contents_original), the text may be
preprocesed to form "token1[start,end] token2[start,end] ..." and stored
to another indexed and tokenized field (contents). Then very simple
analyzer that removes [start,end] text would be aplied to the field. Of
course this approach is the least efficient (in sense of memory
sonsumtion) from any other proposed in this discsussion.

Stepan

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-dev&m=108080820315779&w=2 )

Cheers
Mark