lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Praveen Peddi" <ppe...@contextmedia.com>
Subject Sorting and tokenization
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:15:45 GMT
Hello all,
Now that lucene 1.4 rc3 has sorting functionality built in, I am adding sorting functionality
to our searching. Before posting any question to this mailing list, I have been going thru
most of the email responses in this mailing list related to sorting. I have found that I cannot
tokenize the fields that I want to sort on.

Lets take the example I have.
I use lucene 1.3 final for searching. Sorting is in fact a very important feature in our application.
But we found that lucene does not support out of box, we had to implement sorting by score
and doc id programatically which is kind of useless for us. So I thought lucene's new sorting
feature will best suit now. But unfortunately, the field called "title" is tokenized currently.
And this is done purposefully because users would want to search partial matches (or rather
search on multiple words of the title). So if we make it un tokenized we may lose an improtant
functionality.

My question is, is there any way I can achieve sorting the objects by title and keeping title
as tokenized?

Thanks in advance.

Praveen

Praveen Peddi
Sr Software Engg, Context Media, Inc.
email:ppeddi@contextmedia.com
Tel:  401.854.3475
Fax:  401.861.3596
web: http://www.contextmedia.com
Context Media- "The Leader in Enterprise Content Integration"