lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Grant Ingersoll" <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Writing a stemmer
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:17:56 GMT
Anil,

I suppose it depends on how complex the language is and what is acceptable for your program.
 I have written a couple of stemmers that are fairly straightforward based on papers that
I have read and work well for the langs. we are using.  Your best bet is probably to do a
literature search for the languages you are interested in and go from there.

I am, of course, assumming stemmers for your languages don't already exist.  If your languages
are common, there probably is a stemmer available in some form that you can use or adapt.
You'd be suprised at what you get by doing a simple google search for "<lang X> stemmer"
where lang X is the language you are interested in and no quotes.

Hooking them into Lucene is straightforward and there are several examples of this available
in the docs and code.

-Grant

>>> amusku@Lotusinterworks.com 06/03/04 04:09PM >>>

Hi,

Can anyone provide some help on writing a stemmer for non-english languages?
How proficient must I be in a language for which I wish to write the stemmer?

Regards,
Anil