lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ram Subbaroyan <r...@rcn.com>
Subject Re: lucene scoring
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:19:53 GMT
Uddam answers inline:

> - in DefaultSimilarity.queryNorm(float sumOfSquareWeights) : how does it
> compute the query weight?

To understand Lucene scoring it is easiest if you follow a query with only
one term on a searchable.

Here is the general flow of control for such a query:

-IndexSearcher line 132 calls
    -Query.java line 118
        Here is where the weight is created
    - TermQuery.java line 94
    - TermScorer.java line 76
    - TermScorer.java line 112

After you follow this control flow you can try to follow the control flow
for a Phrase, Boolean and Range query.

> - How does it compute the weight of each field in the index (fieldWeight,
> fieldNorm)?

The code for this is found in

DocumentWriter.java - line 110 and 321

Hope this helps.