lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Supported Languages
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:48:34 GMT
On Jun 10, 2004, at 11:37 AM, Don Vaillancourt wrote:
> I've noticed from the documentation that Russian and German languages
> are supported by Lucene, but does Lucene support the french language.

Look in Lucene's sandbox for analyzers for all sorts of languages.

> What is the definition of support in regards to language for Lucene?
> Being able to index a document?  Or being able to search a document?
> Or is it simply being able to sort results?

I suspect this is a highly subjective situation.  Indexing and
searching of documents of any language is "supported" by the core
Lucene API.  Analysis is where the differences come out.  Stemming,
stop word removal, and dealing with normalizing diacritical characters
seem to be the common issues needed for various languages.

The short answer is: if you can get text into Lucene, you can search on
it.  How that text gets in is up to you.  The Analyzers in the sandbox
may just help you on your way, but they are far from the only way to do
it.

	Erik