lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toby Tremayne <Toby.Trema...@lonelyplanet.com.au>
Subject RE: Adding to an existing document
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:46:05 GMT
Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean - I do store threadid with every
document already - is there a way to append to a single thread's body field?

cheers,
Toby

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter M Cipollone [mailto:lu1@bihvhar.com]
Sent: Thursday, 1 July 2004 10:44 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Adding to an existing document

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toby Tremayne" <Toby.Tremayne@lonelyplanet.com.au>
To: <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 8:28 PM
Subject: Adding to an existing document

> Hi all,
>
>       I have an index which contains information from a forum database
>

> - one document per thread, containing all messages in a big text field.
If
> I wanted to add a new message string to and existing thread, is there some
> way I can append it to the document?

In Lucene, the only way to modify a document is to delete it and replace it
with the new version.  Given that you are working with discussion threads,
you might instead consider adding fields for thread ID and thread serial
number to each article. You could then append to threads, view entire
threads in order or delete threads as you wish using Lucene's APIs.

Pete