lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: similarity of two texts
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:05:22 GMT
On Jun 2, 2004, at 1:39 PM, David Spencer wrote:
>> Erik,
>> Could you expand on this just a wee bit, perhaps with an example of
>> how to
>> compute this vector angle?
>
> I'm tempted to write the code to see how it works, but FYI this doc
> seems to nicely explain the concepts:
>
> http://www.la2600.org/talks/files/20040102/
> Vector_Space_Search_Engine_Theory.pdf

This is, in fact, one of the documents I referenced to get a grasp on
how to do it.

My code has some built-in assumptions on parts of the equation that get
short-circuited (there is only 1 of each term in my case, for example)
so it would not be a general-purpose algorithm.  It's basically just
using the TermFreqVector information and plugging it into an equation
like found in that PDF - nothing more than that actually.

	Erik