lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Proximity Searches behavior
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:28:14 GMT
On Jun 9, 2004, at 12:21 PM, David Spencer wrote:
>> show us that most folks query with 1 - 3 words and do not use the any
>> of the advanced features.
>

> But with automagic query expansion these things might be done behind
> the scenes.  Nutch, for one, expands simple queries to check against
> multiple fields, with different boosts, and even gives a bonus for
> terms that are near each other.

Ah yes!  Don't worry, I hadn't forgotten about Nutch.  I'm tinkering
with its query parsing and analysis as we speak in fact.  Very clever
indeed.

>> The elegance of the query syntax is quite important, and QueryParser
>> has gotten a bit hairy.  I would enjoy discussions on creating new
>> query parsers (one size doesn't fit all, I don't think) and what
>> syntax
>

> I suggested in some email a while ago making the QueryParser
> extensible at, runtime or startup time, so you can add other types if
> queries that it doesn't support - so you have a way of registering
> these other query types (SpanQuery, SubstringQuery etc) and then some
> syntax like "span:foo" to invoke the query expander registered w/
> "span" on "foo"...

I would be curious to see how an implementation of this played out.
For example, could I add my own syntax such that

	"some phrase" <-3-> "another phrase"

could be parsed into a SpanNearQuery of two SpanNearQuery's?

I like the idea of a flexible run-time grammar, but it sounds too good
to be true in a general purpose kinda way.

	Erik