lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: using previous results on a new search
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:15:34 GMT
On Jun 4, 2004, at 3:07 AM, Antoine Brun wrote:
> We are investigating the possibility to insert previous search results
> to a new query.
> Does anyone knows if it is possible or if such an evolution is under
> development

I suppose you mean "search within search", so that the second search is
constrained by the results of the first query.  If so....

There are two primary options:

   - Use QueryFilter with the previous query as the filter (search the
archives for QueryFilter and Doug's recommendations against using it
for this purpose)

   - Combine the previous query with the current query using
BooleanQuery, using the previous query as required.

The BooleanQuery is the most recommended way.

p.s. This ought to go on the wiki :)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message