lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Spencer <dave-lucene-u...@tropo.com>
Subject ANN: Experimental site for searching javadoc of OSS projects
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:07:20 GMT

I've put together a kind of experimental site which indexes the javadoc
of OSS java projects (well, plus the JDK).

http://www.searchmorph.com/

This is meant to solve the problem where a java developer knows
something has been done before, but where, in what project - source
forge? jakarta? eclipse? jboss?.

There are at least 2 somewhat unique things here. I use a custom
analyzer ("JavadocAnalyzer") which I recently mentioned on this list in
another context. With it searches for something like "thread pool" will
match tokens like "SyncThreadPool" or "Sync_ThreadPool".

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=1731360

There's also an AIM (AOL) IM bot running. You send it a query and it
sends you back 5 URLs of matches - web search w/o a browser.

Also inside - it does query expansion so that query terms are checked
against multiple fields (may be similar to what nutch does).

And I also use the MoreLikeThis query expansion code I wrote - from a
results page you can find similar URLs to the hits you see. [BTW: this
doesn't seem to have made it into the sandbox...]

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=1353138

The about page is here:
http://www.searchmorph.com/weblog/index.php?id=7

And the "technology inside" page elaborates a bit more:
http://www.searchmorph.com/weblog/index.php?id=3

I'm interested in feedback. Does it find matches you expect, and what
other packages should I index?

thx,
 Dave

PS
 Surely this has been done before - what's the "competition" - any other
similar specialized search engines?