lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jason St. Louis" <jason.stlo...@gravitybound.net>
Subject Re: Question on how to build a query
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 05:51:06 GMT
Well, I seem to have gotten something to work.  Maybe someone could just
  comment on my approach.

I wrote my indexer so that it added each field without tokenizing it:

Field fnameField = new Field("fname", fname.toLowerCase(), true, true,
false);
Field lnameField = new Field("lname", lname.toLowerCase(), true, true,
false);
Field cityField = new Field("city", position.toLowerCase(), true, true,
false);

By the way, if this is the case, is the indexer even using the analyzer
that I pass to it?

Then in my search code I create the firstname query as a WildcardQuery
if the first name is provided (adding a * to the end if it's not already
there):

Term fnameTerm = null;
Query fnameQuery = null;
if( fnameIn.length() > 0)
{
	if( !fnameIn.endsWith("*") )
	{
		fnameIn += "*";
	}
	fnameTerm = new Term("fname", fnameIn);
	fnameQuery = new WildcardQuery(fnameTerm);
}

I then create my lastname query as either a WildcardQuery or a term
query depending on whether it contains a *:

Term lnameTerm = new Term("lname", lnameIn);
Query lnameQuery = null;
if( lnameIn.indexOf("*") != -1 )
{
	lnameQuery = new WildcardQuery(lnameTerm);
}
else
{
	lnameQuery = new TermQuery(lnameTerm);
}

Lastly, I create the city query as a TermQuery.

Finally, I add the 3 queries to a booleanQuery, not adding the first
name query if it is null (this means a first name was not provided) and
making lastname and city required:

if(fnameQuery != null)
{
	overallQuery.add(fnameQuery, true, false);
}
overallQuery.add(lnameQuery, true, false);
overallQuery.add(positionQuery, true, false);

I then search my index and it appears to work. I haven't tested it
extensively yet, though.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to approach this problem, or am I
missing something that's going to bite me in the you-know-what?

Thanks.
Jason