lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Eric Jain <Eric.J...@isb-sib.ch>
Subject Re: CachedQuery
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:53:57 GMT
> How about the new FilteredQuery (added in the latest Lucene 1.4 release
> - or earlier?).  I'm not sure it would suffice for that particular query
> though.  It would, however, work well for:
>
>     foo OR (bar:yes AND xyz)
>
> as you could use a QueryFilter on bar:yes nested in a FilteredQuery with
> a TermQuery for xyz, and then wrapped in a BooleanQuery as two
> non-required clauses.  As for QueryParser... FilteredQuery is not
> currently supported, although you could perhaps inject it by subclassing
> (?).

Unfortunately it is also possible (and frequent) for the entire query to
be nothing but

   bar:yes

in which case the FilteredQuery approach wouldn't work, as far as I can
see. On the other hand, I just realize that caching query objects won't
do any good either, as most work is done when the score method of the
query object is called (wild speculation).

Perhaps what I need is some kind of rule-based query optimizer...