lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Spencer <dave-lucene-u...@tropo.com>
Subject Re: Proximity Searches behavior
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:21:25 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:
>
>> 3) Is there a plan for adding QueryParser support for the SpanQuery
>> family?
>

> Another important facet to Terry's question here is what syntax to use
> to express all various types of queries?  I suspect that Google stats

And others - Altavista logs I think...

> show us that most folks query with 1 - 3 words and do not use the any
> of the advanced features.

But with automagic query expansion these things might be done behind the
scenes.  Nutch, for one, expands simple queries to check against
multiple fields, with different boosts, and even gives a bonus for terms
that are near each other.

> The elegance of the query syntax is quite important, and QueryParser
> has gotten a bit hairy.  I would enjoy discussions on creating new
> query parsers (one size doesn't fit all, I don't think) and what syntax

I suggested in some email a while ago making the QueryParser extensible
at, runtime or startup time, so you can add other types if queries that
it doesn't support - so you have a way of registering these other query
types (SpanQuery, SubstringQuery etc) and then some syntax like
"span:foo" to invoke the query expander registered w/ "span" on "foo"...