lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Terence Lai <t...@trekspace.com>
Subject Building query to match a sub-string of a field
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:28:31 GMT
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to construct a query which matches a sub-string of a field. As an illustration,
I would like to search the following words by using the sub-string "test":

- test
- testing
- contest
- contestable

I realize that Lucene does support wildcard searches using "*" and "?" in the custom query.
Therefore, the query string "*test*" should give me the right result. However, the Lucene
query syntax (http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/queryparsersyntax.html) does not allow
the wildcard "*" as the first character of the search. Therefore, the query "*test*" is invalid.
Does anyone have a solution to build the query to achieve the same result?

Thanks,
Terence