lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: best ways of using IndexSearcher
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:51:28 GMT
Anson,

Use a single instance of IndexSearcher and, if you want to always 'see'
even the latest index changes (deletes and adds since you opened the
IndexSearcher) make sure to re-create the IndexSearcher when you detect
that the index version has changed (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.html#getCurrentVersion(org.apache.lucene.store.Directory))

When you get the new IndexSearcher, leave the old instance alone - let
the GC take care of it, and don't call close() on it, in case something
in your application is still using that instance.

This stuff is not really CPU intensive.  Disk I/O tends to be the
bottleneck.  If you are working with multiple indices, spread them over
multiple disks (not just partitions, real disks), if you can.

Otis