lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Compound file format file size question
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:59:03 GMT
Hello,

--- James Dunn <james_h_dunn@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have an index that's about 13GB on disk.  I'm using
> 1.4 rc3 which uses the compound file format by
> default.
>
> Once I run optimize on my index, it creates one 13GB
> ..cfs file.  This isn't a problem on Linux (yet), but
> I'm having some trouble copying the file over to my
> Windows XP box.

What is the exact problem? The sheer size of it or something else?
Just curious...

> Is there some way using the compound file format to
> set the maximum file size and have Lucene break the
> index into multiple files once it hits that limit?

Can't be done with Lucene, but I seem to recall some discussion about
it.  Nothing concrete, though.

> Or do I need to go back to using the non-compound file
> format?

The total size should be (about) the same, but you could certainly do
that, if having more smaller files is better for you.

Otis