lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From uddam chukmol <uddam_chuk...@yahoo.com>
Subject why the score is not always 1.0 when comparing two identical strings?
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:39:54 GMT
hi,

i'm not so convinced by the way Lucene compute the score.

I tried to compare two string by using a program. In the program, i index the first string
as if i indexed a document and use the queryParser with the same analyzer that I used to index
the first string to analyze my second string and to form a query from it.

I run the program for the first time with the first string as:
"This is the text to index with Lucene CREATE TABLE Elements ( TYPELEMENT varchar (255) NULL
, CLEELEMENT varchar (255) NULL , LIBELEM varchar (255) NULL , CODENTITE varchar (255) NULL
, CLEENTITE varchar (255) NULL , DONNNEEA1 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEB1 varchar (255) NULL
, DONNEEA2 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEB2 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEA3 varchar (255) NULL
, DONNEEB3 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEA4 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEB4 varchar (255) NULL
, DONNEEA5 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEB5 varchar (255) NULL , TOP1 varchar (255) NULL , TOP2
varchar (255) NULL , TOP3 varchar (255) NULL , TOP4 varchar (255) NULL , TOP5 varchar (255)
NULL , QTE1 varchar (255) NULL , QTE2 varchar (255) NULL , QTE3 varchar (255) NULL , MONTANT1
varchar (255) NULL , MONTANT2 varchar (255) NULL , MONTANT3 varchar (255) NULL , DATE1 varchar
(255) NULL , DATE2 varchar (255) NULL , DATE3 varchar (255) NULL , STATUT varchar (255) NULL
, DATPRISENCPTSTAT varchar (255) NULL )".

I used the same string as to form my query and i got the final score of these two string which
is 1.0.

Then something suprised me when i changed to two strings into "All work and no play makes
Jack a dull boy" and compared them by using one as a document and other to form the query.
The result was just not 1.0. it was 0.3033.. instead.

I used Eclipse as my Java Editor. Any conflict with Lucene?

Any idea/suggestion of what went wrong over here?

Uddam