lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jayant Kumar <jayantli...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject problems with lucene in multithreaded environment
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:48:41 GMT
We recently tested lucene with an index size of 2 GB
which has about 1,500,000 documents, each document
having about 25 fields. The frequency of search was
about 20 queries per second. This resulted in an
average response time of about 20 seconds approx
per search. What we observed was that lucene queues
the queries and does not release them until the
results are found. so the queries that have come in
later take up about 500 seconds. Please let us know
whether there is a technique to optimize lucene in
such circumstances.

Please note that we have created a single object for
the searcher (IndexSearcher) and all queries are
passed to this searcher only. We are using a P4 dual
processor machine with 6 gb of ram. We need results at
the rate of about 60 queries/second at peak load. Is
there a way to optimize lucene to get this performance
from this machine? What other ways can i optimize
lucene for this output?

Regards
Jayant