lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Distributed searches and RAM Dir
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 13:50:28 GMT
1) Look up Mark Harwood and Lucene.  He used Lucene to distribute
searches some time ago (1> year ago) and provided some nice sequential
UML diagrams with notes.  I believe I saw something similar from Kevin
Burton, also a long time ago, and of course Nutch system is designed
with a cluster of search servers in mind.

2) I think that depends on your needs.  For everything I used Lucene
for, having a duplicate copy of an index was always sufficient, as I
could always scp it to a live machine in a few seconds or minutes.

3) I would not call it pointless, although with time the FS caches
'warm up' and the search performance may approach that of
RAMDirectory-backed indices.  Converting a FSDirectory based index to a
RAMDirectory one is so easy, that there is no point in trying to
optimize early.  I would keep my code simple and just try using
FSDirectory first, until I start having performance issues.

Otis

http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg07388.html