lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Morus Walter <morus.wal...@tanto.de>
Subject Re: indexing with 1.4-rc3 only yields single .cfs file
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:26:42 GMT
iouli.golovatyi@group.novartis.com writes:
> Otis,
> can You explain please why 1.4-rc3 leaves old files like _*.cfs in index
> folder after optimization.
> The reference to them can be found also  in deletetable file. Is it a bug?

If you're on windows that's presumably the same situation as for old index
files of a non compound index after optimization.
The files cannot be deleted as long as they are open by a searcher.
So lucene has to delay the deletion, which I guess deletetable is used
for.
On unix/linux you shouldn't see the old files anymore, though they are still
there (the files which are independet from the directory entries), and will be
removed by the system, when they are closed by the last process that had
them open.

Morus