lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Polina Litvak" <plit...@casebank.com>
Subject RE: how to get all terms as search results (or "*" equivalent)
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:31:53 GMT
Thanks for your help Franck.

I am new to Lucene and have some difficulties understanding how to
achieve what you suggest, namely how to get all the non deleted
documents with score of 1 (also what does the score stand for ?).

If you could provide some more detail, that would be very very helpful.

Thanks a lot,
Polina

-----Original Message-----
From: Brisbart Franck [mailto:Franck.Brisbart@kelkoo.net]
Sent: June 28, 2004 10:25 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: how to get all terms as search results (or "*" equivalent)

When you use wildcards like that, the parser builds 1 query for each
term matching the wildcarded term. With this approach, it should have
created n queries (ie n boolean clauses) where n is number of terms.
The number of clauses for a BooleanQuery is limited to 1024 by default.
You can change this value to a higher one, but it's not very great.

For my own use, I created a 'AllQuery' which return all the non-deleted
documents with a score of 1
This is also very useful to search queries like 'field1:not word' (the
documents which doesn't contain 'word')
I needed this class only for debugging purpose so I didn't work a lot on

it and it'll be better to write it on your own to have something clean.

Franck

--
Franck Brisbart
R&D