lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Re: why the score is not always 1.0 when comparing two identical strings?
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:06:48 GMT
Nothing is wrong.  When the maximum relevance score is greater than one, all
hit scores are normalized (making the highest score 1.0).  When the maximum
score is less than 1, normalization does not occur.  The more complex the
query, the more likely that the raw (non-normalized) score will be less than
one.  Use searcher.explain() to get the details.

HTH,

Terry

----- Original Message -----
From: "uddam chukmol" <uddam_chukmol@yahoo.com>
To: "Lucene Users List" <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 8:39 AM
Subject: why the score is not always 1.0 when comparing two identical
strings?

> hi,
>
> i'm not so convinced by the way Lucene compute the score.
>
> I tried to compare two string by using a program. In the program, i index
the first string as if i indexed a document and use the queryParser with the
same analyzer that I used to index the first string to analyze my second
string and to form a query from it.

> I run the program for the first time with the first string as:
> "This is the text to index with Lucene CREATE TABLE Elements ( TYPELEMENT
varchar (255) NULL , CLEELEMENT varchar (255) NULL , LIBELEM varchar (255)
NULL , CODENTITE varchar (255) NULL , CLEENTITE varchar (255) NULL ,
DONNNEEA1 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEB1 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEA2
varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEB2 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEA3 varchar (255)
NULL , DONNEEB3 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEA4 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEB4
varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEA5 varchar (255) NULL , DONNEEB5 varchar (255)
NULL , TOP1 varchar (255) NULL , TOP2 varchar (255) NULL , TOP3 varchar
(255) NULL , TOP4 varchar (255) NULL , TOP5 varchar (255) NULL , QTE1
varchar (255) NULL , QTE2 varchar (255) NULL , QTE3 varchar (255) NULL ,
MONTANT1 varchar (255) NULL , MONTANT2 varchar (255) NULL , MONTANT3 varchar
(255) NULL , DATE1 varchar (255) NULL , DATE2 varchar (255) NULL , DATE3
varchar (255) NULL , STATUT varchar (255) NULL , DATPRISENCPTSTAT varchar
(255) NULL )".

> I used the same string as to form my query and i got the final score of
these two string which is 1.0.

> Then something suprised me when i changed to two strings into "All work
and no play makes Jack a dull boy" and compared them by using one as a
document and other to form the query. The result was just not 1.0. it was
0.3033.. instead.